Capturing a lecture and being able to share it multiple ways is a powerful method for a teacher. Today I had a few moments to try out my favorite new app called Educreations. It is listed as an interactive whiteboard app. This app is similar to the ShowMe app used by tons of educators. What I like about this one is that you have an online account in which you can create a course and add content to it. Your students then become members of your course and have access to all of the video tutorials you create on your ipad. Users get a course code to use to log in to access the material you create.
By providing videos for your students to watch before your class time you are maximizing the time you have with them. It is a great way to start “flipping” your room. It is also a great way to provide remediation to students who are struggling as well as providing more challenging problems to students who are in need of more rigorous content.
So here is what the workflow would look like:
1. Create your account online at Educations.com.
2. On your ipad record the lesson or lecture. I like to use a stylus pen for drawing and writing by freehand, but you can also use the keyboard to type in information. You also have access to thousands of photos with the built in image search engine!
3. Save your lesson.
4. Log into your account on your ipad to share your lesson to the educreations online account.
5. Create a course and add in content.
6. Provide your student with the course code.
Another way to use this app would be to mirror your iPad it with Apple TV and use it as an interactive whiteboard app. Record what you are doing in case you want to reshow it online. What a fantastic app for flipping your classroom and modeling exemplars for all areas of the curriculum!